Sunday, August 19, 2012

Interesting times.....

Dear Reader,
You have caught me at a most interesting time in my life and I feel as harried as the stranger who accidentally walks into the bathroom while you’re doing a number two.
In a week, I leave for college. Less than a month ago, I was traveling through Spain and Senegal. I don’t know if my head has quite caught up to me yet.
The hope is that I can tell you about my travels, both internationally and the journey to college. Both have been full of laughter and tears, and both have a similar goal in common: I want to challenge myself.
I am one of those sick thrill seekers who likes to put themselves to the test; it’s still unclear to me why but it’s a force never the less. So instead of going to college within New England, home to a college per street corner, I choose Arizona. Yes, finances played a part (merit scholarships baby!) and the constant sunshine did add incentive but most of all, I wanted to prove to myself that I could live on my own. I choose the challenge.
It was the same with Africa: I went for the challenge. I wanted to see the world. I wanted to see how other people lived, loved and laughed. So instead of going to Europe straight away, I choose Senegal.
Do I regret either? Not really.
Am/was scared as hell at the prospect? Heck yes.
But I think challenge is necessary.  Challenge requires growth and growth will make me more like the person I hope to be: a women following God and loving life.
Tony Robbins had it right: “Life is a gift, and it offers us the privilege, opportunity and responsibility to give something back by becoming something more.”

So brace yourself because this flower to about to bloom.
Sincerely,
A.

1 comment:

  1. can't wait to watch this flower bloom! love and miss you girly xx

    ReplyDelete